How can I decorate my kitchen on a budget?
This week interior designer, Lucy Bartley, gives some tips for decorating your kitchen on a budget:
- First of all update, clean and de-clutter accessories, whether fridge magnets or collections! Replace them with something new and fresh – bowls or a collection of vintage bottles are some ideas.
- A make over with a fresh coat of paint will always lift a kitchen and is a cheap way for adding a new look, whether all four walls or one feature wall of an accent colour.
- Change the cabinet hardware (drawer pulls and cabinet handles) – if you plan to use the existing holes, take the old hardware with you when you shop to make sure the placements match. If you’re refinishing the cabinet fronts you can fill the existing holes and have a wider range of choices.
- Adding a new blind can lift a space and wooden slats work great within the kitchen space.
- Changing light fittings to decorative fun pendants with personality, like fisherman style hurricanes, will update and change the space instantly.
- Think of small appliances as decorative accessories, which can add fun, personality, colour and drama.
- Think of larger items, like a bright blue retro Smeg fridge or less expensive items like a cobalt toaster, as styling props for your kitchen – you can always move them around and put them away too.
- If you don’t have an existing splash back, this is a great way to add character, texture and colour whether tiles or glass.
For more information on decorating your house contact Lucy.