Posted: 11 May 2017
#New Home #Interior Design #First Time Buyer
Make your windows gleam with these professional tips
Whether you live in the hustle and bustle of the city or with the countryside on your doorstep, a clean window will allow you to make the most of your view. We appreciate that it’s a job that many of us don’t enjoy. This is why if you’re going to do it, the trick is doing it well. This means that you have to do it less often in the future.
We’ve pulled together a list of recommendations on how to get the best results.
1. Equip yourself – Make sure that you’ve got the right utensils for the job. Cleaning your windows to a high standard involves having a bucket of warm water, vinegar, a sponge and a squeegee.
2. When to clean? – Make sure that there is no sunlight on the windows before you start to clean. Direct sunlight on the windows will prevent you from seeing the key areas to tackle.
3. Cleaning solution – It’s important to have an effective cleaning solution to ensure sparkling windows. We recommend using a mix of vinegar and warm water (ratio 1:1). Vinegar is completely non-toxic and anti-bacterial. It safely kills germs and isn’t harmful to inhale.
4. Stain removal – Outside windows are especially prone to stains as they are exposed to the elements. In order to effectively remove them, we suggest using pure vinegar. Let it sit for at least five minutes as the acidic composition breaks down the stain. Use a sponge to remove the stain.
5. Window frames – Don’t forget the frames when you’re cleaning your windows. We recommend using hot water and a sponge to clean the frames. Sponges are more absorbent and kinder to your frames than synthetic cloths. This mild approach will avoid taking off the paintwork. Dry the window frames immediately afterwards.
6. Squeegee – Once you’ve cleaned the window, you should use your squeegee to get a professional streak-free finish. Always dampen the squeegee first and clean from the top down. Make sure to wipe the edge of the squeegee after every stroke (using lint-free fabric) to avoid streaks.
And there you have it, the key to beautiful gleaming windows.
Are you looking for a stylish affordable home?
Southern Home Ownership is dedicated to providing stylish, high quality and affordable new homes for sale on a shared ownership basis.
If you're a first time buyer and interested in owning a shared ownership property in London and the South East then click on the link below to take a look at our latest developments.