Posted: 03 Aug 2017
#New Home #Affordable Home
Make your move stress-free
Moving house is renowned for being of the most stressful things in life. However, if you’re organised and prepared then it needn’t be that way. We’ve compiled a list of ten recommendations to make any move stress-free.
1. Insurance – Accidents happen, so it’s worth checking that your contents insurance covers damage and breakages made when moving house.
2. Supplies – Before you start packing, make sure that you’ve got all the supplies that you need for a successful move. This includes boxes (small, medium and large), packing tape, bubble wrap, newspapers, markers and labels.
3. Declutter – Aside from moving to a new property, the one good thing to come out of moving house is the excuse to reassess all your belongings and get rid of what you don’t need.
4. Start early – By starting early, you will avoid a last-minute rush. Start with the rooms you use the least and go from there. It’s also best to start packing out-of-season items first, such as Christmas decorations, winter coats, gardening tools and summer clothes.
5. Pack by room – Packing one room at a time allows you to unload easily at the other side. You can then tell the removal company to unload boxes into specific rooms.
6. Box weight – Don’t overload your boxes. If you do, then you risk collapsed boxes and damaged goods. Also, save your back from serious injury by packing light items in large boxes and heavy possession in small boxes.
7. Fill empty gaps – Use old newspapers, packing papers, towels, sheets, and clothing to fill the gaps in boxes. This ensures that all items are secure during the move and are therefore less likely to be damaged.
8. Labelling – Take the time to label all your boxes with their contents and the room in which they need to be unloaded. Boxes should be labelled with a marker on the top and sides so you can recognise them quickly when stacked. You can also use a different colour pen or label.
9. Stacking heavy boxes – This may sound obvious, but we recommend stacking heavy boxes at the bottom of the pile. This way you minimise breakages during the move.
10. Overnight bag – Prepare an overnight bag for the family so that you have everything you need to survive before you’ve fully unpacked. Key items include toiletries, clothes, toilet paper, snacks, tea/coffee and a kettle.
Are you looking for a stylish Shared Ownership home?
Southern Home Ownership is dedicated to providing stylish, high quality and modern new homes for sale on a shared ownership basis. If you're a first-time buyer and interested in owning a shared ownership property in London and the South East then take a look at our latest developments.